We are a technology company that is transforming operations at sea to enable people and the planet to thrive.
We are open-minded and fearless in our approach to innovation and don’t believe in boundaries. We challenge everything and have massive ambitions to drag aging industries into the tech era.
We take safety, equality and education very seriously, and our responsibilities don’t stop at our front door. Our business is built on the belief that there’s definitely a more environmentally responsible way to operate at sea.
We only employ the best people. People with a desire for excellence, a curious nature, people who are thoughtful, humble, collaborative and accountable.
We reward our people well. Beyond what’s usually considered to be the ‘market average’.
The opportunities for people in our business can be limitless, spanning a multitude of disciplines and open to all, regardless of background and experience level.
We are not your average workplace.
Ocean Infinity is seeking a Senior Control Software Engineer to assist with development of new software capabilities and integration with other programs and devices. Working within the subsea technology team, your focus will be on but not limited to the control of sophisticated robotic equipment deployed from Ocean Infinity’s Armada vessels.
Work Country: Southampton, United Kingdom
Work Location: Onsite
Division/Department: Subsea Technology / Control Systems
Reports to: Systems Architect
What will you do:
- Be able to work in a small, fasted-paced team in Southampton, UK;
- Will be trained up on the different software control systems running our uncrewed vessels to be able to make resilient software design decisions;
- Ability to build, test and deploy software;
- Develop interface adapters and C++ programs;
- Assist our junior Control Systems Engineers;
- Design, specify, develop and document software solutions;
- Lead the integration of our control system into complex 3rd party systems such as vessel control systems, electric Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) and geotechnical equipment;
- Follow Ocean Infinity’s software development practices and to document developments effectively;
- Liaise with OEMs and other vendors to aid development and rectify software issues;
- Documentation of code and procedures for use by our operational team;
- Participate in peer code review;
- Domestic and international travel to support the integration of equipment and control systems on ships;
- Develop software architecture to facilitate Ocean Infinity’s systems design;
- Participate in and run software sprints within the ‘Control’ team;
- Be familiar with the company’s operational procedures relating to the performance of their duties;
- Work in a manner that ensures their own and their co-worker’s safety;
- Be familiar with the applicable sections of the company HSE policy;
- Actively participate in all safety related briefing such as Toolbox Talks related to the assigned system or tasks;
- Maintain effective communication and working relationships with other colleagues, both junior and senior;
- To participate in project briefing and familiarisation meetings held.
- NOTE: Armada is a rapidly developing project using cutting edge technologies. Job descriptions will evolve to maximize our operational efficiency and exceed our customer’s expectations. The above list of responsibilities is a guide, we are recruiting people who are flexible, energetic, and keen to drive Armada’s success.
Who you are:
- 5+ years’ engineering experience in a suitable field;
- Software development experience (C++;)
- Version control with Git;
- Networking experience;
- Experience with robotic control systems;
- Full Driving License;
- Fluent in both written and spoken English;
- Self-motivated and able to work within a team to deliver results within agreed timeframes;
- Strong Interest in the development of cutting-edge robotics in the ocean sector;
- Ability to plan and estimate development tasks (ideally within an Agile framework);
- Thoughtful, thorough and conscientious;
- Interested in others and strives for the best for the team;
- Ability to take ownership and engagement in the work;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills;
- Critical thinking and ability to show initiative;
- Open and receptive to new and different ideas;
- Ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Enthusiastic about protecting people and the planet.
- Experience with QT;
- Experience with Jira and Confluence;
- Marine survey systems such as GNSS, inertial navigation, subsea positioning systems;
- Satellite, telephony and digital radio systems;
- Experience with VMs;
- Experience with PLCs / other industrial controllers;
- Experience with Bitbucket / Github;
- Engineering project planning and time management;
- Supervision of contractors and/or junior team members;
- Good practical experience with office tools: MS Office, Google Drive, Teams, e-mail, among others.
What you can expect:
At Ocean Infinity, we believe in creating equal opportunities for all, celebrating each and everyone’s differences. We are driven by transforming the industry, through our technology, thoughts, behaviours and actions. Being inclusive and respectful to all is fundamental to who we are. It is the right thing to do and enables innovation and creativity to thrive.
There is more work to be done, and we know that we aren’t perfect, but our commitment to these values is unwavering. They are central to our mission and the impact we have on the industry, meaning, we cannot live without them.
For applications, please send your CV to: email@example.com