We are a technology company that is transforming operations at sea to enable people and the planet to thrive.
We are open-minded and fearless in our approach to innovation and don’t believe in boundaries. We challenge everything and have massive ambitions to drag aging industries into the tech era.
We take safety, equality and education very seriously, and our responsibilities don’t stop at our front door. Our business is built on the belief that there’s definitely a more environmentally responsible way to operate at sea.
We only employ the best people. People with a desire for excellence, a curious nature, people who are thoughtful, humble, collaborative and accountable.
We reward our people well. Beyond what’s usually considered to be the ‘market average’.
The opportunities for people in our business can be limitless, spanning a multitude of disciplines and open to all, regardless of background and experience level.
We are not your average workplace.
Ocean Infinity is seeking a Mechanical & Hydraulic Engineer. You will be expected to contribute to the design, development and operation of remotely operated seafloor drills and associated systems – specifically; offshore vessel deck based automated geotechnical sample handling, processing and storage solutions . The Mechanical & Hydrualic Engineer will participate in multi-disciplinary project teams and demonstrate a willingness and ability to “get the job done” while respecting constraints such as schedule & budget. You will be expected to have some “hands-on” skills relevant to the systems you work on. You are expected to be honest, pragmatic and an excellent communicator. You will both be able to complete solo tasks and contribute effectively in a team environment. You will be friendly, co-operative and genuinely engaged in the work we are doing. You have a strong sense of curiosity and a desire to “learn by doing”, however, you are also firmly grounded in mechanical and hydraulic systems engineering theory.
Work Country: United Kingdom
Work Location: Hybrid
Division/Department: Geotechnical Division
Reports to: Geotechnical Product Development Manager
What will you do:
- Assist the Product Engineering team with delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule;
- Perform system analyses, establish user requirements, analyze system functional and performance requirements, define design criteria, and establish system layouts and designs;
- Prepare engineering calculations such as hydraulic modeling, stress analysis, equipment sizing and reservoirs, pressure vessels and manifolds;
- Prepare installation design and ensuring that all analyses satisfy user and system requirements;
- Prepare technical specifications based on input received from other disciplines;
- Interact with equipment vendors;
- Conduct interface management between related systems;
- Prepare data sheets based on input received from other disciplines;
- Prepare and contribute to technical memos and reports, within areas of expertise;
- Provide input to engineering, operating and maintenance personnel;
- Prepare and/or review project standard specifications and design criteria;
- Prepare or provide input to 3D models and 2D mechanical drawings;
- Participate in and contribute to design reviews, shop installation and in field repairs;
- Assist with technical queries raised during the construction phase and commissioning of systems on site as required;
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 3-5 years’ post graduate experience;
- Registration as a professional engineer. Alternatively, registration as an Engineer-in-Training actively working towards professional registration;
- Demonstrated design and practical engineering experience in industrial or heavy industry environment;
- Working knowledge of industry standards, regulations and codes pertinent to mechanical engineering discipline;
- Experience with Mechanical software – SolidWorks, Simulation FEA and CFD, and MatLab is an asset;
- Experience using DraftSight or AutoCAD;
- Hydraulic system design, schematic creation, calculations, component selection;
- Hydraulic power unit design, part and weldment drawing creation;
- Manifold detailed design, assembly design, part drawing creation;
- Hose and rigid tube design including line sizing, specification, routing, 3D layouts, and hands-on installation of such an asset;
- Hydraulic system assembly, equipment setup/testing in shop and field commissioning;
- Excellent attitude towards safety and a demonstrated ability to comply with the safety policies of the company;
- Strong understanding of quality management such as standards, regulations and applicable policies and procedures;
- Good practical experience with office tools: MS Office, Google Drive, Teams, e-mail, among others;
- Thoughtful, thorough and conscientious;
- Interested in others and strives to act in the best interests of the team;
- Ability to take ownership and engagement in the work;
- Integrity, credibility and maturity for confidential issues;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong communication skills;
- Driven, proactive and able to work autonomously with little supervision towards the company’s purpose;
- Critical thinking and ability to show initiative;
- Open and receptive to new and different ideas;
- Ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Enthusiastic about protecting people and the planet.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to function with minimal supervision;
- Ability to function as a member of a multidisciplinary team and coordinate mechanical activities between disciplines;
- Ability to communicate effectively with our internal and external clients on a technical level;
- MTBF and reliability analysis;
- Microsoft: Windows, Office, Visio;
- ISO 9001 quality environment.
What you can expect:
At Ocean Infinity, we believe in creating equal opportunities for all, celebrating each and everyone’s differences. We are driven by transforming the industry, through our technology, thoughts, behaviours and actions. Being inclusive and respectful to all is fundamental to who we are. It is the right thing to do and enables innovation and creativity to thrive.
There is more work to be done, and we know that we aren’t perfect, but our commitment to these values is unwavering. They are central to our mission and the impact we have on the industry, meaning, we cannot live without them.
For applications, please send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org