We are a technology company that is transforming operations at sea to enable people and the planet to thrive.
We are open-minded and fearless in our approach to innovation and don’t believe in boundaries. We challenge everything and have massive ambitions to drag aging industries into the tech era.
We take safety, equality and education very seriously, and our responsibilities don’t stop at our front door. Our business is built on the belief that there’s definitely a more environmentally responsible way to operate at sea.
We only employ the best people. People with a desire for excellence, a curious nature, people who are thoughtful, humble, collaborative and accountable.
We reward our people well. Beyond what’s usually considered to be the ‘market average’.
The opportunities for people in our business can be limitless, spanning a multitude of disciplines and open to all, regardless of background and experience level.
We are not your average workplace.
Ocean Infinity is seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer who will be responsible for the design, integration, verification and delivery of new technologies for the Armada system. The Armada is a fleet of ultra-low emission robotic ships up to 70+m in length, with operational payloads, support infrastructure and trained personnel operating together to satisfy customer’s needs across a range of maritime services world-wide with greater levels of safety, sustainability and reduced environmental impact than traditional alternatives. You will be instrumental to the design and implementation of new mechanical systems for the Surface and Sub-Sea groups, integrated with novel control and electrical systems, from technology demonstrator through prototype to product. You will lead packages of design work coordinating all elements from requirement capture, through concept generation and down-selection to verification and validation. You will conduct component and system design of marine equipment with a focus on delivering compliant solutions which will maximise availability and equipment up-time. You will be confident in a system engineering environment.
Work Country: United Kingdom
Work Location: Remote or Hybrid
Division/Department: Marine Tech Team
Reports to: Green Ship Technology Manager
What will you do:
- Capture and validate requirements for design;
- Generate concept designs, performing trade studies and down-selections;
- Conduct component design;
- Conduct system design, identifying sub-systems & system attributes and functions;
- Define and maintain interface control;
- Conduct and coordinate verification activities;
- Capture and document design rationale;
- Conduct modelling in 2D or 3D as appropriate;
- Conduct and/or coordinate structural, electrical and fluid analyses;
- Identify and integrate specialist design tasks and analyses;
- Undertake DFMEA and FMECA techniques to identify and mitigate system vulnerabilities;
- Develop safety arguments and contribute evidence to the safety case;
- Manage supplier and contractors contributing to the design of new systems.
Who you are:
- A degree in a relevant engineering or adjacent technical subject;
- At least 5 years’ experience in a high integrity field of engineering (aerospace, automotive, marine, defence or control systems);
- Proven experience in taking a design brief to physical implementation at a component and system level;
- Experience in designing for reliability, maintenance and manufacture;
- 2D and 3D modelling proficiency in AutoCAD/SolidWorks or similar;
- Experience in first principles and computer aided mechanical analysis;
- Experience in reporting and communicating design rationale;
- Familiarity and experience with modern systems engineering methods;
- Supervision of contractors and junior team members;
- Engineering project planning and task management;
- Thoughtful, thorough and conscientious;
- Interested in others and strives for the best for the team;
- Ability to take ownership and engagement in the work;
- Ability to work as a trusted advisor with senior stakeholders;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Driven, proactive and able to work autonomously with little supervision towards the company’s purpose;
- Critical thinking and ability to show initiative;
- Open and receptive to new and different ideas;
- Ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Enthusiastic about protecting people and the planet.
- Experience with uncrewed vessels in both mechanical and electrical systems;
- Experience in technical supervision;
- Chartered Engineer status;
- Review and sign-off of design solutions;
- Planning and/or carrying out testing, trials, integration and commissioning;
- Ship marine systems esp. deck & payload and propulsion;
- Robotic systems, remotely or autonomously operated vehicles;
- Marine operations and marine safety;
- DFMEA, FMEA, FMECA and safety and reliability analysis;
- Regulations, classification, safety arguments and safety case development;
- Configuration management, engineering change management and standardization.
What you can expect:
At Ocean Infinity, we believe in creating equal opportunities for all, celebrating each and everyone’s differences. We are driven by transforming the industry, through our technology, thoughts, behaviours and actions. Being inclusive and respectful to all is fundamental to who we are. It is the right thing to do and enables innovation and creativity to thrive.
There is more work to be done, and we know that we aren’t perfect, but our commitment to these values is unwavering. They are central to our mission and the impact we have on the industry, meaning, we cannot live without them.
For applications, please send your CV to: email@example.com